- put it into your general household waste
- pour it down your sink, toilet or into household drains
- pour it into any waterways such as local streams or rivers
- bury it in your garden.
You can take dried paint to any recycling centre or put it in your home rubbish collection.
At the recycling centre:
- put dried out or empty metal paint cans in the scrap metal container
- dried out or empty plastic paint cans should go in the waste to landfill container.
How to dry paint
Open the lid but make sure the can is half full or less. You can speed up the process by:
- adding dry soil, sand or sawdust and leaving it to harden
- adding shredded newspaper and allowing the paint to soak in and harden
- brushing leftover paint onto paper and leaving it to dry
- buying specialist paint hardener (a bit like cat litter) from a DIY store.
Once paint is hardened, pierce remains to make sure no liquid remains. Solvent-based paint may take longer to harden.